It’s been a while since I worked on the blog’s design. The design dated back to 2011 which is like an eon in Internet time and I didn’t particularly liked how it looked anymore so I decided to change it.
I normally don’t do any design work and CSS is not something I’ve enjoyed particularly but I’ve always used this space to work on that area.
I must say that css has greatly improved over the years. I didn’t have to do anything to make it look the same on different browsers. The tooling in google Chrome is just amazing nowadays. You can see exactly how different elements look, their box size, paddings, margins, etc. It’s a different experience from what I remembered and I enjoyed the whole project quite a bit.
I’m a big fan of solarized. I use it on my editor and on the terminal so I figured having my blog with solarized would be a great idea :)
One of the major changes is that the design was done for mobile first and then changed it to adapt for bigger screens. I borrowed some ideas about it from some blog posts like this about doing media queries based on your content and not defined screen sizes. I didn’t use any responsive layout framework like skeleton and just used css-grid now that most browsers support it to define the content structure.
I’m happy with the end result, it’s more up to date with my preferences, I like that it’s more colorful and less sober than it was. I learned some new things and specially I had fun doing something I’m not used to which is a great way to push myself and get out of the comfort zone.
I hope you enjoy it too.